Simba edge Mbeya City FC  

04May 2019
The Guardian Reporter
The Guardian
Simba edge Mbeya City FC  

THE 2018/19 Mainland Premier League defending champions, Simba, have continued to put pressure on league leaders, Yanga, given the former edged Mbeya City FC 2-1 at the Sokoine Stadium in Mbeya yesterday.

Mbeya City FC defender Ibrahim Ndunguli (L) blocks Simba striker Meddie Kagere during the 2018/19 Mainland Premier League duel that was held at the National Stadium in Dar es Salaam last year. PHOTO: COURTESY OF TFF

Mbeya City FC defenders were under pressure two minutes into the opening stanza as Simba's Rashid Juma raced onto a good pass by teammate and threaded a pass to fellow striker within the area, the defenders though smothered the attack.

Mbeya City FC had a first good opportunity on the 15th minute as midfielder Mohamed Kapeta tested Simba keeper Deo Munishi with a blockbuster from close range, the keeper parried the effort.

Simba several minutes back got two good chances, which were wasted.

Simba put Mbeya City FC under pressure on the 16th minute as the former's fullback Nicholas Gyan whipped in a cross, which was cleared by the latter's defenders.

The hosts recorded the opener on the 21st minute through midfielder Iddi Selemani, who got the better of the visitors' defenders and beat Munishi with a low rasping left foot effort from outside the area.

The hosts had a few minutes back failed to fully exploit a chance, in which Selemani skipped one of the visitors defenders challenge a few meters from the latter's box and whipped in a cross, only to see team mates waste the chance.

Simba failed to make the most of an opportunity in which midfielder Hassan Dilunga whipped in a center nine minutes later which went begging.

Mbeya City FC keeper Owen Chaima parried a cross floated in by a Simba player on the 34th minute as the latter kept on pressing for an equalizer.

The hosts threatened to score the second on the 37th minute as a close range attempt by midfielder Mohamed Samatta went inches over the visitors crossbar.

Mbeya City FC still led by the lone goal at the end of the opening stanza.

The visitors registered an equalizer through midfielder Mkude on the 68th minute. Mkude connected a good free kick by Nicholas Gyan.

The visitors' forward Meddie Kagere put the squad 2-1 up on the 85th minute after he had headed in Mohamed Hussein's free kick from the edge of the box.

It was an end to end affair for the rest of the match, with the hosts seeking to record an equalizers only to be let down by poor finishing.

Samatta squandered a good chance for Mbeya City FC during the added on time after he had failed to make the most of a free kick his team got a few meters from the opponents' box.

Top Stories