Tanzania annual milk production stands at 2.7 billion litres-board

22Oct 2019
Correspondent
Moshi
The Guardian
Tanzania annual milk production stands at 2.7 billion litres-board

ANNUAL milk production in the country now stands at 2.7 billion litres from about 1.3 million cows out of which only 10 per cent of the milk is channeled through the formal dairy processing plants and the other 90 per cent is processed informally.

Acting registrar of Tanzania Dairy Board (TDB) Sofia Mlote said  at the weekend when she spoke to this paper.

She said currently a Tanzanian drinks 49 litres per year on average while he/she is supposed to drink 200 litres and added that the task of TDB is to administer laws and regulations on milk production including all stakeholders in the dairy sector in the country.

Mlote said she is pleased with the coming of the new technology to buying milk from vending machines now available in Hai district and Moshi Municipality in Kilimanjaro region.

She said such machines will ease the people in Kilimanjaro region to drink the required quantity of milk which is 200 litres per year per person.

She said current milk processing strategy stands at 154,000 litres per year but the aim is to process 815,000 litres, hence the demand is still huge as 20 milion litres of milk is imported into the country every year.

She said: “There is the need for more efforts in the establishment cooperative groups to lobby for and administer what dairy stakeholders believe in attaining higher goals.”

She said every member of a cooperative should have a grazing field, the situation that will enable to feed well the cows for better and safe milk production.

On her part the Kilimanjaro regional Commissioner Dr Anna Mghwira called on extension officers to reach producers at site so as to get appropriate hybrids for milk cows that can produce better milk.

She added that the farmers should also be mobilized to drink the milk they produce and not to sell all that they produce as is customary.

The director of match maker Peniel Uliwa said the milk vending machines project dubbed Faida Maziwa is funded by Netherlands Development Organization (SNV) that enabled cooperatives obtain fodder processing plants as well the new milk vending machines technology. 

He said the machines has a 300-litre capacity and costs 19m/- each and as now they have been made available to only two cooperative groups.

Top Stories