England award central contracts to Archer, Burns and Denly

21Sep 2019
By Guardian Reporter
LONDON
The Guardian
England award central contracts to Archer, Burns and Denly

ENGLAND’s Ashes and World Cup bowler Jofra Archer and opening batsmen Rory Burns and Joe Denly are among a number of players to be awarded central contracts for the 2019-20 season, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said on Friday.

Archer was England’s leading wicket taker in their victorious World Cup campaign with 20 wickets and he made his test debut against Australia, picking up 22 wickets in four Ashes tests.

Burns was England’s second-highest run scorer (390) in the Ashes after Ben Stokes (441). Denly (312 runs) has earned his first white-ball, limited-overs, contract at the age of 33.

Players awarded central contracts will have their salaries paid in full by the ECB.

"Selectors have awarded 10 test contracts and 12 white-ball contracts," the ECB said in a statement here "Sussex fast bowler Jofra Archer receives a test and a white-ball contract for the first time after his successful debut international season.

“Surrey opening batsman Rory Burns is awarded a test contract after becoming the leading top order run scorer in the Ashes series. Kent batsman Joe Denly is awarded a white-ball contract for the first time.”

However, Alex Hales, Liam Plunkett and David Willey have missed out on white-ball contracts for the 2019-20 season, while spinners Moeen Ali and Adil Rashid have received only white-ball contracts after previously having contracts across all formats.

Hales was withdrawn from the World Cup squad in April after British media reported he was serving a three-week ban for drug use.

Meanwhile, Sri Lanka spinner Akila Dananjaya has been banned for a year from bowling in international cricket due to an illegal action, the International Cricket Council said on Thursday.

Dananjaya, 25, was reported for a suspect action after last month’s opening test against New Zealand in Galle, during which he picked up six wickets in Sri Lanka’s victory.

His bowling action was found to be illegal after he underwent independent assessment in the southern Indian city of Chennai, the ICC said in a statement.

Dananjaya was also reported for a suspect bowling action last November after a test match against England and suspended the following month after an independent committee found it to be illegal.

He was cleared to bowl again in February following remedial work on his action.

“As the latest report constitutes the player’s second report within a two-year period, the first of which led to a suspension, he is automatically suspended from bowling in international cricket for a period of 12 months,” the ICC said.

“Dananjaya will be entitled to approach the ICC for a re-assessment of his bowling action after the expiry of this one-year period.”

The Galle match against New Zealand was Dananjaya’s first test since his reinstatement.

He has taken 33 wickets in six tests for Sri Lanka since making his debut against Bangladesh last year, as well as 51 wickets in one-dayers and 22 in Twenty20 internationals. REUTERS