The District Executive Officer, Salome Magambo said yesterday that the deaths and displacements have occurred in Matema and Bujonde wards following downpour which started on April 29.
She said that serious damage was inflicted on May 4 when heavy rains swept away crops, livestock and household items, leaving behind wrecked homes that are not safe for habitation.
“We have set up 14 camps in schools and churches located on elevated ground where a total of 2570 displaced persons are now sheltered,” she stated.
The DED noted that the actual number of people displaced from their homes is higher than the number she gave because many were taken in by friends and relatives whose homes are on higher ground.
The government is catering for those living in the 14 camps with basic needs including food, medicines and clean water to prevent outbreaks of waterborne disease, she observed.
Other wards affected by floods are Ikama, Katumba-Songwe, Mwaya, Talatala Kanjunjumele and Makwale, with most homes in the area being surrounded by water.
Part of the rainwater wreaking havoc in low-lying Kyela district comes from the highlands of Rungwe district, she pointed out.
She thanked the business community in Kyela district for supporting the district’s safety and security committees chaired by the DC in mobilizing humanitarian support for the victims.
Giving his report on the situation here on Tuesday, Mbeya Regional Police Commander Ulrich Matei said a number of houses had been destroyed in Kyela district, with public institutions not spared either.
Mwaya primary school and Mwaya secondary school, both located in Mwaya ward were entirely surrounded by water, he said.
As for Rungwe district, scores of houses had been damaged in Igamba area and Tukuyu town. Parents must not allow children to be outdoors alone lest they are swept by floods, the PRC cautioned.