Wednesday Jul 23, 2014
| Text Size
[-]
[+]
Search IPPmedia

Yanga restricted

26th February 2012
Print
Comments
Yanga coach Kostadin Papic

The Confederation of African Football (Caf) has ordered Yanga to go with not more than 40 people including players in Egypt for their match against Zamalek.

Mainland champions Yanga will play Zamalek in the Champions League, preliminary round return leg match in Cairo next weekend.

The Tanzania Football Federation (TFF) information officer, Boniface Wambura, said yesterday that CAF had ordered them to do that as the two sides will lock horns at an empty stadium.

He said CAF had imposed a two-match home ground ban on Zamalek from playing in front of their fans.

The ban was imposed on the Egyptian side last year following home fans riots which led to the calling off of their Champions League match against Club Africain of Tunisia in Cairo.

The trouble started when an Algerian referee cancelled Zamalek’s Ahmed Gaafar headed goal late in the match for offside. The match ended prematurely when Zamalek were leading 2-1.

The ban will start in their match against Yanga. This means that Yanga will travel with players who have Champions League licenses. According to Wambura, every side will have a five-man technical bench. Apart from those, there will be 20 ball boys.

The match will be handled by Moroccan officials Jihed Redouane, Rouani Bouazza and Bekkali Mimoun.

Yanga will be required to obtain a win or draw at 2-2 for them to advance after tidying 1-1 in the first leg in Dar es Salaam.

SOURCE: GUARDIAN ON SUNDAY
0 Comments | Be the first to comment