The government has set aside 84bn/- this financial year to develop human resources and social services, particularly special skills in mining, including gas, uranium, iron and oil.
According to Finance minister William Mgimwa, during the year 2012/13 the government plans to improve the quality of education at all levels, particularly in areas of research, vocational training, health and science.
He said the plan would involve laboratories' renovation and availability of laboratory facilities in the country.
As the government announced the plans, Norwegian oil company Statoil and its partner, Exxon Mobil, have made a significant natural gas discovery.
The company’s vice president for exploration Tim Dodson said the logging results from the Lavani well confirmed a new high-impact discovery for Statoil, with a preliminary resource estimate of 3 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of gas in place.
The Lavani well has encountered 95 metres of excellent quality reservoir sandstone with high porosity and high permeability.
“The result from Lavani, which is only 16 kilometres south of our recent Zafarani discovery, confirms the high potential in Block 2. We are also pleased to announce that the recently drilled Zafarani sidetrack added another 1 Tcf of gas in place. This is in addition of up to 5 Tcf announced in February.
The results so far mark an important step towards a possible natural gas development in Tanzania,” he said.
He added that the Lavani discovery demonstrates how the company’s strategy of focusing on high-impact opportunities is paying off and supports the company’s ambition for international growth.
The Lavani well, drilled in 2,400-metre water depth, is the second exploration well in Block 2 – which covers an area of approximately 5,500 square kilometres.
The Lavani discovery is the seventh high-impact discovery made by Statoil over the last 14 months. The other high-impact discoveries are Zafarani in Tanzania, Skrugard and Havis in the Barents Sea, Johan Sverdrup (formerly Aldous/Avaldsnes) in the North Sea, and Peregrino South and Pão de Açúcar (non-operated) in Brazil.
Statoil operates the licence on Block 2 on behalf of the Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation (TPDC) and has a 65 per cent working interest, with ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Tanzania Ltd holding the remaining 35 per cent.
Statoil has been in Tanzania since 2007, when it was awarded the licence for Block 2.