15th Tanzanian UN peacekeeper dies of wounds from Congo attack

24Dec 2017
Guardian On Sunday
15th Tanzanian UN peacekeeper dies of wounds from Congo attack

THE United Nations Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) said yesterday that another Tanzanian peacekeeper has died after being wounded in the deadliest single attack on a UN peacekeeping mission in almost 25 years.

MONUSCO said on Twitter that it brings the death toll to 15 Tanzanian peacekeepers killed in the hours-long December 7 rebel attack on a UN base in eastern DRC.

The UN mission marks the death with “immense sadness” and offers condolences to the peacekeeper’s family and Tanzania’s government.

The attack has been blamed on the Allied Democratic Forces, one of dozens of armed groups that roam the mineral-rich region.

Uganda’s military on Friday said it has attacked the rebels to prevent further “hostile activities,” carrying out aerial bombardments and firing “long-range weapons.” It said its troops haven’t entered DRC.

“Shared intelligence between Uganda and the DR Congo confirmed that the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) terrorists which recently carried out attacks on UN peacekeepers... were planning to conduct hostile activities against Uganda,” the army said in a statement.

“In a pre-emptive move, this afternoon UPDF (Ugandan People’s Defense Force) conducted attacks on their camps in Eastern DRC.”

The ADF, a Ugandan rebel group dominated by Muslim militants operating in the DR Congo, was behind an attack that left 14 Tanzanian peacekeepers dead two weeks ago, according to the UN.

The ADF started out with the aim of overthrowing Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni, who was seen as hostile to Muslims. But it went on to absorb other rebel factions and started carrying out attacks in 1995.

Gradually pushed westwards by the Ugandan army, the ADF relocated most of its activities to the DR Congo.

It was also blamed for an ambush on UN peacekeepers in eastern DR Congo in October, which killed two peacekeepers and wounded 12.

It has also been accused by Kinshasa and the UN peacekeeping mission MONUSCO of killing more than 700 people in the Beni region since October 2014.

Kinshasa has insisted on a militant motive to the killings, but many observers and experts say that there has been no proven link with the global militancy underground, and that this is a “simplistic” explanation for their acts.

Many ADF recruits — drawn from Tanzania, Burundi, Kenya and as far as Somalia — are young Muslims.

A group run by US researcher Jason Stearns published a report claiming that several distinct groups “appear to be involved in the massacres,” including soldiers from the regular army.

The government rejected the claims and Stearns was expelled from the DR Congo after the report’s release.

Beni’s Mayor Bwanakawa Nyonyi told AFP last year that he believed the massacres were carried out by a nebulous group, with politically motivated “Congolese hands” behind them.

In explaining the violence, some have cited struggles for control of trafficking in various industries like timber, agricultural produce or minerals in a region with extremely rich resource potential. 

Top Stories